Our upcoming General Meeting is open to all – hope you can make it!
Thursday 10th September, 6-7.30pm, Royston Wardieburn Community Centre, 11 Pilton Drive North.
Agenda so far…
- Stairway to the garden door! When could we start, initial funding?
- Community Shares Scotland guest speaker – presentation & questions answered on how this could work. A short film was forwarded to explain the basics Community Shares animation
- Ideas for the first couple of years, if we get in! Archaeological digs? CSA? Heritage Orchard project? Glasshouse restoration? Arts and crafts? Nursery? Beekeeping?
Please get in touch if you are coming along, seating for 20, or send in any questions or ideas if you can’t make it.
Earlier this month seven of the ‘Action Group’ got together outside the walled garden for some serious discussions, following on from the recent positive meeting with developers EDI Ltd
How to get steps up this steep slope & understanding where the castle used to be!
Many trees have covered the quarry site where Granton Castle stood until 1926, and the ground level is a lot lower than it used to be.
- Possible temporary access point to the walled garden back door, still in working order but at the top of a wooded embankment.
- Access and horticultural use proposal, ‘Heads of terms’, is to be put forward to EDI on behalf of the Friends of Granton Castle Walled Garden.
- We hope to begin work in earnest with the RCAHMS through ‘Scotland’s Urban Past’ by the end of October at the latest. Scotland’s Lost Gardens
Surveys of the listed walls & garden are needed urgently, before any clearance work and restoration could begin. Finally a Thankyou to Anne Hamilton of Lothian Life for publishing an awareness-raising article on our behalf. See Granton’s Secret Garden